Fall is here! It is time to hike through fallen leaves and pull out the fall sweaters. Besides visiting all of my favorite local La Crosse, WI hiking trails, one of my favorite fall activities is apple picking. There is something special about the taste of a crisp apple picked straight from the tree. Luckily for me, there are several apple orchards within an hour of La Crosse. As a result, my house is currently overflowing with apples, so even the pets get to enjoy the bounty. Below is a quick recipe for peanut butter apple dog treats. Enjoy!
Peanut Butter and Apples = Yum
This recipe creates a dog friendly, low sugar slightly chewy treat. It is Glia approved.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 small apple
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Combine the applesauce, egg and peanut butter.
- Mix the flour with the baking soda. Then add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
- Finely chop (or grate) one small apple. Mix the apple with the rest of the ingredients.
- Press the dough out into about a 1/2 inch thick sheet. If desired, cut into dog bone shapes. I made some this way and the rest into small training treat sized pieces.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Let cool. Then serve to your pup!
This recipe yielded enough peanut butter apple dog treats to fill up a large Rubbermaid container (see below). I plan on freezing some since I only have one dog in the house right now. They last about 4-5 days on the counter and little longer if kept in the fridge.
Glia loved this treat. She is a huge fan of peanut butter anyway, and really seemed to enjoy the soft cookie texture.
Other Apple Based Dog Treats:
Here are a few links to other recipes for dog treats made with apples. Glia and I are excited to try out a few of these now that we have plenty of apples in the house.
- Apple and Cinnamon Dog Biscuits
- Oat and Apple Pretzel Dog Treats
- Homemade Apple Chip Dog Treats
- Sweet Potato Apple Dog Treats
- Apple, Bacon, and Cheddar Dog Treats
This recipe is the first in a series of three recipe posts for the fall season. Next up are Pumpkin Pie Dog Treats. In November, I will be making one for the cats: Turkey and Catnip Cat Treats. If your dog likes this recipe, make sure to check back in over the next two months.
Have you made this recipe or any of the ones in the links above? What does your dog think of apple dog treats?